Monday, January 17, 2011

Blue Monday : Operation – Cheer Up!

I woke up today and thought, holy F$*%, I don’t think I can go on, I need to stay in this bed for the rest of the winter, maybe even the rest of my life.  Instead, shedding a tear, I got in the shower, threw some makeup on my disgruntled face, told James to f%$# off and headed out the door.  I now sit here starring at my computer screen losing my will to live. 



This is not a healthy attitude.  I think it’s safe to say that I am officially suffering from S.A.D.  I wasn’t surprised to find out that today, by common concensus, is the most depressing day of the year, so I figured I’m not the only one needing mental help today and decided to share my yearly strategy with you.

1. Go to the goddam gym!
I know I’ll feel good about it once I go, but every fiber of my being at this moment wants to take a cab home, plug in my heating pad and order in.  Not going to happen.  Instead I’m going to walk home, and then go to the gym for an hour.  When I come out I’m going to feel like a million bucks, and all this S.A.D. isn’t going to be consuming me for the evening.  

Note: I pre-make dinners on Sunday so I’m not eating at 10pm, it's the only way I can manage it.

I do a half hour of cardio and a half hour on the weight circuit.   My goal is to go 3 days a week and do a Yoga Booty Ballet tape 2 days a week.  I’ll eat right, and walk to and from work everyday.  On the weekends, I’ll eat what I want, and be lazy because I deserve it.  This is my plan and I’m sticking to it.  

Note: If you’re doing cardio, you need some cheesy beats to get you going, so be sure to load up your i-pod.
Right now what really gets me moving is:

Sexy Bitch – Akon
D.A.N.C.E - Justice/Mstrkrft
Your Easy Lovin' Aint Pleasin' Nothin' - Mayer Hawthorne
Blue Monday - New Order
Dog Days Are Over - Florence + The Machine
Black and Blue - Miike Snow
Long Cool Woman - The Hollies

2. Make Something, this is supposed to be a craft blog!
I’m including a project ‘how to' that I think will cheer anyone up.  It’s the magazine bowl!  If you make one, I want to see it, so send me a pic.  I made these ones last winter and it brightened a few chilly afternoons…

Note: For step 7, I use podgy and a paint brush, not varnish.  I just cover the thing with lots of podgy, and it will be hard and shiny in a few hours.

Here are my magazine bowls...

I also made these no-sew leather hair bows the other day.  Crushed velvet would also work really well cos it doesn't fray.  




Make something on a lazy afternoon and you’ll feel productive instead of stir crazy, and you'll impress your friends.  More how-to's to come!

3. Feel-good TV? Yes Please!
I watch cheesy feel-good TV.  Don’t judge me.
My top two are:



Both are available online for your viewing pleasure.  After one of these episodes I’m just as pleased as punch!  I really hope they don't get cancelled, or I don't know where I'll be!

4. Warm and Cozy isn’t such a bad thing!
I don’t hate everything about winter…and I need to remind myself of the good things about this season, and enjoy the little things cos before we know it, if we're lucky, it'lll be spring!

I love:
My ear muffs and my homemade scarf!

Cuddling with my luva
Tea (specifically Forever Nuts from David's Tea)
Baths (at other people's houses or hotels if I'm lucky, cos my tub is more like a shallow warm puddle.)
Comfort Food - like this delicious recipe from my friend and fellow blogger Tracey Nolan!  I could eat the whole dish myself...
Ugly Sweaters - here's my favorite...I got it from Public Butter on Queen St. W.

I hope this post has helped your current state.  Just writing it has helped me, plus now that I'm finally posting this, Blue Monday is almost over AND it was light out on my walk home from work tonight, things are looking up folks!  Thanks for reading.

xx
Desiree

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment